Header art by Robert Joseph Moreau

Thursday, February 11, 2021

Don Kingfisher Campbell

Powerlines above butterflies

 

Roaches and ants, can't see them from here

Blue sky and clouds surround our minds all day

Tree leaves wave, temporary prisoners of existence, just like you and me

Squirrels, cats and dogs make doo in controlled nature

Rocks sit beside grass, wondering how they got there

Water runs through pipes and hoses quite happily

Houses squat in their places, seemingly disinterested

Sidewalks lie, contemplating indifference, occasionally tickled, next to rolled on roads

Stop signs stand sentinel, traffic lights have a little power too

Street lamps wait for darkness, and wait…

Sun dives behind horizon, unfettered by tiny buildings and mountains

The moon, the other beaming source of romantic shadows



You Tube Transport


I'm in my spaceship

of the imagination

inside my apartment


A two bedroom

with carpeted floor

and stuccoed ceiling


I sit in a black pleather

swiveling office chair

arms on padded rests


And lean back

close my eyes

sent aloft on


The music of

Constance Demby

"Novus Magnificat"


I journey into the stars

satellites and comets

pass beside me


As I fly

closer to heaven

I can feel the majesty


Of surrounding nebulae

or is that the introduction

to the celestial choir


I'm ready to land

take my place sitting

enveloped in dark cosmos


Looking around upon

all the round objects

and their unseen inhabitants


Who make noises

too faint to hear from here

but I remember them


And find myself

returning to my people

as one in the minor cacophony


Willing this being

to sleep and dream

of an afterlife


Dying can be bliss

fix me my harp

so I can trade


My earthly troubles

death divorce

disenfranchisement


For the joy of becoming

an atom without matter

a free floating speck


Refreshed for a span

of nearly half an hour

via artistry recorded


Decades ago by

a person I'll never meet

or will I


May we someday greet

as ether of the void

which exists timelessly


Neither up nor down

not left or right

only conscious of place


And be patient as gods

waiting for another

something vivid to happen



Thirteen Ways of Looking at Poppies


Poppies! Poppies! Poppies! Poppies!

Blown around by the breeze

Like citizens by politics

If Moses had hiked this hill

He would have said the clusters of

Orange flames were beautiful signs of God

Walk as a tee-shirted giant

In the land of the poppies

Swaying by the passing wind

Open petals take in

The sunny flow of air

Fed the feeling of being alive

Shadows pass over the poppies

Shoes temporarily knock flat the poppies

The poppies bounce back up lifted by the following

A field of orange and yellow and purple

Brings delightful color to the brown hills

The cloudless blue sky

Kneeling amongst the poppies

Get close to pure beauty

Fitting right in

Spotted desert brush

Enhanced by orange and yellow and purple clumps

Such harmony in the variety of colors

The sign says Poppy Festival

April 22nd-23rd but

It's already here

Bearded and unbearded men stroll

Surrounded by poppies

Smiles all around

Buds hang together

Like a group of poppies

Grow to love the company

Outside with the wind dancers

Sashaying to the music of the breezes

Twenty four hours every day

Put anything next to a poppy

And it's livened up

A bouquet of flowers and object


Previously published in Metaphor - Issue 7


All three poems published in a 16 poem poetic e-libretto by Bobby John Press. Go to http://bobbyjohnpress.blogspot.com to get a free copy emailed to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

Thoughtless Children   Do you ever wonder while you are sipping your morning coffee or tea how many children are missing?   ...