Header art by Robert Joseph Moreau

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Lori Wall-Holloway

Prized Possession

 

A chilly Christmas Eve warrants

the wearing of my prized possession

made from flannel material

with black and grey stripes

decorated with fringes

on the ends


It keeps me warm but the love

of who it once belonged

to is what creates

great joy every time

I wrap the object around

my neck

 

I wear it not necessarily

because of the warmth

but because of the connection

it makes in my heart

 

Whenever I put on such

a precious garment

to go to family gatherings

it is as if I am joined

by the person

who also wore

it on cold nights

 

With his address

now being heaven

I feel he joins

our holiday celebrations

just by me wearing

his, my dad’s, winter scarf



Lingering Scent

 

Young woman takes trip

to grandmother’s closet

to try on one of grandfather’s

flannel shirts

She puts it on and wraps

it around her as if being hugged

 

Holding the sleeve to her nose

she takes in a deep breath

and detects a lingering

scent

“I love this!” she exclaims

It still smells like Papa!”



Discovery

 

A small brown stuffed object

catches my attention

while I hunt for a paperback 

in a specialty store

The white furry chin and fur

gracing its neck accentuate

small glass eyes set

in a sweet face

 

The toy reminds

me of a character

I read about in a children’s

book when I was younger

As an adult I devoured

the stories again

with a new appreciation

understanding fully

what the author visualized

when he wrote about a magical

land beyond a wardrobe

ruled by the majestic Aslan

 

After fluctuating whether

or not to purchase the soft

lion, I decide to buy

it, not because it is cute

but for what it represents

 

In The Chronicles of Narnia

I believe the writer

intended the role of Aslan

the lion to symbolize Christ

and his self sacrifice

for the world, only

to beat death

and become alive again

 

Now that I have a simple

reminder of the power

of God’s love, I am filled

with joy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

Thoughtless Children   Do you ever wonder while you are sipping your morning coffee or tea how many children are missing?   ...