Header art by Robert Joseph Moreau

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Jeffry Michael Jensen


DETOUR THE DRAIN DADDY


I love looking for a runaway leaf on Valentine’s Day
maybe I’ll take a wrong philosophical turn
follow some card sharks out of the suburbs
and end up late for a pot pie dinner with the in-laws
my skateboard has refused to leave the neighborhood
Bill Evans shoots up on my history professor’s turntable
on this night, someone ripped the cover off the moon
the disrobed gods were not making any exceptions
I’ve given names to all of my love shadows
the girl across the street keeps all of her freckles in the basement freezer
big city spies always wear 3D glasses at the singles lodge dance
geology books keep a thinning continent from flying away
I can’t remember where mom said she kept daddy’s gravity
it was Yahtzee or bust before an avalanche of self-pity
bigger than a breadbox or maybe a fiery asteroid
there have been so many false starts up the evolutionary love chain
I once tried talking to the lovely stranger standing in the bedroom mirror
one black-and-white dream has kept me cowering under mom’s baby grand
someone I know once found stars in the backyard dirt
I only found worms, bottle caps, and a few colorful marbles
it is always good to have somewhere for abandoning the objects of love
former disgraced gods would love to start their own exclusive club
it is all algorithmic even for superheroes
I once met a semi-gorgeous poet who kept happiness under her tongue
I’m so drained after a long night of balalaika’s as load as hell
shaking the foundation of my spy network
I once believed that they were innocent ringing bells
and not devious three-stringed monstrosities
I’m a master of the protocol for empty infatuation
I’m crowing with fists raised so sweet as a murmur
so much raw material can still go gruesome at a moment’s notice
college friends have gone and died on me
before I can wow them one more time
a crooked tooth has blocked a city line to lover’s lane
it is poetry that can boost a love mythology bigger than any dream

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

Thoughtless Children   Do you ever wonder while you are sipping your morning coffee or tea how many children are missing?   ...